Saturday, February 16, 2008

Money's hard to find, so don't go and spend it all in one time. It rhymed!


My OT shift ended 27 minutes ago.

No more waking up at 7.15 am.
No more feeling exhausted when I got back home.
No more converting + formatting + editting CVs for hours and hours.

Hurrah! I'm free!

And the best part is, I've earned RM 500 in 4 days. Those who said I wasn't independent can eat their words and digest them. I'll make one hell of a CEO. Lol. I probably wouldn't.

Yes, I've been working. From Tuesday to Friday. RM 100 per day + RM 100 for OT today. Like I said, what I did mostly was dealing with resumes and stuff for this big tender I'm not even interested in knowing. It's not exactly my dream RM 4.50-per-hour-cashier job, but this paid better. God, when will I be able to do a part time job as a cashier? Anyways, no more working for me after this. It's exhausting even though all I did is sat in front of the computer from 8.30 am to 4.30 pm. Some day I sacrificed my lunch time. Some day I worked until 6 pm. And some day, I did OT. But honestly, working there was fun. I liked the office, the environment. I liked the people who worked there. Not all of them, but most of them.

It's the Venezuelans who poked their head into the room to say 'Good Morning' each day.
It's the Scottish guy who made time to sit and chat.
It's the Bruneians who offered a hand.
It's the Malaysians who acted as if they owned the company.
It's the Malaysians who acted snobbish.
Typical.

And my boss rocked. Seriously. For a 49-year-old guy with 3 kids, he's someone I'd describe as 'peloya nauzubillah'. Mr. Hernando the Big Boss would go all, "Who's staying back today? I'm ordering pizza," or "I was told we were the winner. We're going to win this bid!". Mr. Jim was, "Are you comfortable sitting like that? I wouldn't be able to walk for a week!"

I was allowed to wear t-shirts and jeans and flip-flops. I could do my work while listening to MP3 and drank Coke and ate chocolate.

I really liked it there.

But not enough to continue working tomorrow. My last day in Miri. No way.

At least one good thing came out of this whole thing; I don't want to work in an office. I know it's all I've dreamed of since I could spell but now I've experienced it, I don't want to sit in an air-conditioned room all day with no windows, staring at the monitor or some crappy contracts. It's pointless exhaustion. I mean, your mind's working all right but your body doesn't. Unless you count going to the pantry for a cup of coffee or to the toilet for a wee. And come to think of it, it's a bit like school aite? Fixed working hours, repeated tasks everyday. Where's the drill? Where's the excitement? It makes life seems so dull.

Oh yeah, I am aware of the course I'm currently doing but one must consider her options thoroughly right? I might not want to be a doctor. I might want to pursue business. Or journalism. Or anything really. But now business and anything that's connected with office is out. OUT I say. That rules out a lot actually.

Excellent.

It's just that, a job is a big deal. I mean, it's something I'm going to spend the rest of my life doing. It's like choosing your other half; that's important right? I don't want to work just so I could pay the rent and the bills. I want to wake up in the morning and actually look forward to my job. I want to start my day not knowing how the day will turn out. I like the kick of not knowing what's gonna happen next. It gives a buzz, like taking caffeine. I want to have a job where I can move around, jump and bounce. Just kidding about the jumping and bouncing but you guys get my point right?

Yes, I remain as indecisive as ever.

P.S: When writing your CV, keep it as brief as possible as in UNDER 5 PAGES. No one's gonna bother reading your 15-pages CV and you'll end up making a part-time worker very very pissed.

5 comments:

Terence said...

u have been WHAT?? n OMG! RM500 in 4 days!! to think i've been editing my friends' personal statements for free....

Effa said...

@.@
u? worked?
where? and when?
oh..classes will be starting soon.
pffft.

Anonymous said...

salam.

woh..keja duhal..

hehe..bes2 dpt gaji..

erm, selamat kembali ke sekolah..

(^_^)

dumplings and pau said...

Terence: Um, I've been working?
Haha.

Effa: It should be, "U worked?" "u? worked?" gave a whole diff meaning =P
SKS Wood Sdn. Bhd. Last Tues to Fri eh. Yeah! At least u're going back on the 19th. Me 2moro. Mcm la 1st week ada kelas anyway. Just the reg crap.

Sya: wslm! And thanks >_<

Effa said...

hehehe..
:P
tmrw?
cepat jwak eh?

sik sempat kita mok kuwa oooh..
but anyway..
yr rabbit is soooooooo cute.
^.^